Thursday, August 26, 2004

Tier Training method

I used this program when I was prepping to run a 10k. It was part of a class project on goal setting. I'm not a runner. I am more into powerlifting and mixed martial arts.

My Tier Based Program


I have been using a 3x3 tier. I am currently doing a project for class where we have to pick a physical activity outside of our "norm" and work at it for six weeks. I chose running, I am not competitive but enjoy PLing. So running just seemed the perfect opposite.

I lift 3x/week

Day 1: T, L, U
Day 3: L, U, T
Day 5: U, T, L

I follow each with a posterior chain movement
goodmornings 3x5 @345lbs

And Lats
Chin Ups 3x5-15

Tier 1= Dynamic Effort Method 50% 6x3
Tier 2= Max Effort Method 5x1-3 reps*
Tier 3= Repetition Method 4x8-15 reps**

* Total body is trained LA style 10-20x2 30 sec rest
** I like to use complexes, Coach H calls them hybrids. Kenn also reccomends unilateral movements here (Split Oly's, DB work for T, L, U and various lunging and step ups)
Ex: T= Clean, Front Squat, Push Press
Ex: L= Front Squat, Push Press or Back Squat, Burpee
Also Total body is never trained for more then 6 reps

My Weight warm Up is

Jog 10 min

Front and back rolls 2x3

Overhead Squat 2-3x5
Side, Rear Delts 2x10-15
Obliques 2x10-15
ABS 2x10-15

I may add sets to the warm Up if I feel Needed

Cool own is

Posterior Chain and Lats as stated above

Non weighted GPP Circuit 3-6 sets x 30 seconds continuous
Jump Jack, Shuffles, Burpee and some fourth movement

Cuff
Low Back
Plank Circuit

The warm up and cool down are just that (excluding GPP)
They are not performed balls to the wall. Light weight, warm up the musculature, full range of motion to loosen joints, minimal rest (10-20 secs if any)

Running days

not tier method just to give an Idea of what else is in the program, better picture

Kettlebell Clubbell work. 4-6 exercises 2-4x6-10 30 sec rest

I just use adjustable dumbbells for this. To simulate CB's I load one side and leave the other empty. This MAY also be done if I feel I need a longer weight training warm up, usually no.

Front and Back Rolls 2x5

Lunges 3x10

Jog
Day 2= medium 20-25 min
Day 4= short 15-20 min
Day 6= Long 25-30 min

My runs may be:

Fartlek
Med Ball Throwing and Chasing
Tempo sprints
Long slow distance

medicine ball circuit 5 exercises 2x5-10 no rest

ABS= non weighted 200reps

Every day is concluded with a stretchdown


The weight session is almost exactly a tier program minus the GPP, and tumbling (although Kenn uses mobility exercises). Also where I have Post Chain and Lats, Kenn just has Post chain. He does lats in the main workout. I enjoy my alteration better (my lats are weak and respond to the extra work).


Why I like the tier:

The tier method is a great application of the conjugate system. It is low volume. Tiers range from 3-5 exercises plus Post Chain (4-6 total exercises, excluding warm up and cool down). My program takes 75 min from warm up to cool down.

The low volume makes it easy to add in any additional work needed, like sprints, agilities, strong man type stuff, extra work for lagging bodyparts, flexibility, GPP, cardio, etc... I think it is a great program for any athlete.

The WSB system is great too, It fries my CNS though, making it hard to fit with other components, like cardio, sprints and agility.

I like the WSB model for pure strength development, ie powerlifting.

The low volume, low frequency makes the tier system great to add in other training methodologies to more specifically suit the athletes needs.

Also it fits well with a CF (Charlie Francis) speed week:
based on field sports (football, etc)

Day 1: CNS intensive Weights Speed/Agility
Day 2: Tempo
Day 3: CNS intensive Weights Speed/Agility
Day 4: Tempo
Day 5: CNS intensive Weights Speed/Agility
Day 6: Tempo

leaving plenty of CNS recovery versus a WSB model

Day 1: CNS Weights Speed
Day 2: CNS Weights tempo
Day 3: Recovery/Tempo
Day 4: CNS Weights Speed
Day 5: CNS Weights tempo
Day 6: off

The advantage of the tier is that you get 3 speed workouts/week versus the WSB 2 speed sessions. In the long run this will add up to a faster ahtlete.

For example in 4 weeks:

WSB
16 CNS workouts
8 Speed workouts

Tier
12 CNS workouts
12 Speed workouts

The tier/Charlie Francis combo leads to better CNS recovery (T=12 vs W=16), less overtraining risk, and more speed workouts (T=12 vs W=8).

Weight sessions constitute a CNS day. They train CNS for power and strength

Tempo is not CNS intensive allowing recovery

Speed and agility work are also CNS intensive

The only way to catch up on the speed work is to add another speed day. That would be disasterous cause you'd then have 20 CNS intensive days in a month. The athlete would most definitely overtrain.

Considering that the tier trains strength, power, muscle mass if you add a CF based sprint program you are left with a big, strong, explosive, fast mutha. That's someone who I wouldn't want to run into

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home